Wednesday 8 October 2014

Diva Cup ~ Review

Diva Cup ~ Review

Menstruation, Period, Time Of The Month, Aunt Flo, Cycle, Monthlies, Menses

No matter what you call it, for many women (that still get their period) it’s 3-7 days each month that we don’t look forward to…and sometimes that’s putting it mildly.  I mean think about it. What’s to look forward to? Cramping, Bloating, Mood Swings, Bleeding. Having "period panties"....

I remember all the jokes “Anything that bleeds for 7 days & doesn’t die isn’t human” or how about “Why do they call it PMS? Because ‘Mad Cow Disease’ was taken”.   
As a little girl, you can’t wait to become a “woman”. Once you do hit puberty, and experience all the joys of womanhood, you wonder why women were inflicted with this “curse” instead of men.

I bought a Diva Cup. For any woman that has researched (or wished) for an alternative to using pads, tampons or pregnancy for their periods, I was curious about this option. 

The first day I brought it home, I scoured the instructions that came with it. Not an easy task as the text is really tiny. It got to the point that I contemplated using a magnifying glass to read it. Eventually I was finished reading them however and it all seemed fairly straight forward.
 
They explain how to fold the cup to make it easier to insert. They tell you that with some practice, you will be able to insert & remove it in seconds.

Well it was a little awkward to insert, but that’s because it’s something I’ve never done before. It’s not so comfortable that you can’t tell it’s there. But then again, tampons & pads aren’t that comfortable either.

In the morning I woke up & was surprised to see that there were no leaks, yes I admit it, I was skeptical about it. Then again, it’s only really the first day of my period. I’ll wait for another day or so before I start jumping for joy that I no longer have to sleep with a towel under me for 3-7 days per month. Removing it was a little difficult, but I think it’s because it is still new & there is no string to get a good hold of.   After emptying & cleaning it was time to re-insert. It literally took me only seconds this time. Sure I can still tell it’s there, but again, you can with a tampon too. I find myself going to the washroom more often. Not to empty it, but I think just to keep check that there are no leaks.  The discomfort from my period is no worse than any I feel from the Diva Cup.
 

Diva cup states that it is safe to wear it for up to about 12 hours without emptying, and that if by chance, you have inserted it too far, then gravity will help force the cup lower as it fills. So I decided to test that theory out too. After about 9 hours, sure enough, gravity & having a full cup did ensure it was low enough for me to remove it.

It says that Stage 1 is for women under 30 years of age or that have not given birth vaginally. Stage 2 is for women 30 years or old or who have given birth vaginally. I'm thinking even though I gave birth to my daughter vaginally & I am now 40 years old, I should have tried Stage 1. I think I am a little too tight for the stage 2.

The price was regular $39.99, so it's a little pricey in one shot, but if you think about how much you spend on tampons or pads in a year, it's actually a cheaper alternative. Add to it all the panties, bedding, pants & laundry you will save on, it is DEFINITELY worth it!

Ladies, please remember if you are a heavy bleeder, and need to empty the cup while in a public washroom, you will want to carry a bottle of water with you in your purse to at least rinse the cup clean before reinserting it.



No comments:

Post a Comment